2/6/10

Fire & Water

FIRE

This morning I was wishing something exiting would happen when my dad, who was eating breakfast by the window, said, “Come look at this!”
We (my sister, my brother, and I) rushed over to see that the 11th floor of the apartment building across the street was on fire.
Smoke was billowing out of a charred window frame and people were coming out of the building. Surprisingly, they stayed in the courtyard, talked on their cell phones, “and they were smoking of all things,” my dad said later. I think my little sister just liked looking at the cute pets that the people brought with them.
Finally the firemen arrived, just as the burnt window shutter fell off in pieces, exposing raging flames. They licked the outside wall of the building, trying to spread. Then, with a puff of smoke, the flames went out.
I later found out from my friend’s mother that the fire had started in the daughter’s bedroom and that the mother had been home when it started.


Water

Yesterday my mother and I went to the grocery store in the pouring rain. When we arrived, she said, “Oh no! I forgot my coupons. Now I have to go—Hey! You could go get them! They’re on the fridge.” And with that, I left.
I followed the construction that would have led me straight up to my house had it not been raining so hard. All that water made my glasses fog up so that I could see better without them, which is not seeing very well at all. So, I got hopelessly lost.
After wandering a while, I finally saw a large gray blur with some brightly colored squiggles on it. Had I not been blind, I would have recognized it as a large cement grocery store with a brightly colored sign on it. But being blind, I wasn’t really sure if the blur was the grocery store, but it was worth a try.
By the time I got the lady at the checkout counter to call my mom and my mom showed me the way home, I had at least an inch of water in my shoes and my shirt was sticking to my skin.

1 comment:

  1. Where is your post about the big visit by Grandma and Grandpa?

    ReplyDelete