9/27/09

Pasteis & Princesas

Wandering: A few days ago my little brother woke up sick and feverish, so rather than heading to the praia (beach) as planned, we went to the Children’s hospital Estefania—my first trip to an emergency room on a bus. I couldn’t go in with my brother to see the doctor, but the hospital had a nice garden with a fish pond. And, once he was seen, we wound our way to the British Council where I finally found English novels, which my parents wouldn’t let me read while we hung out in the Council’s lovely garden. But while we chatted we saw parrots and European jays (peachy, with a mustache) in the palm trees. Third garden of the day, Principe Real (translation: royal prince): long hilly climb to a great playground, winding paths, a tree whose branches made the roof of a café, and a torrada (who knew buttery toast could be so good?!).

The day before that, we went to Belém for a pastel de Belém, the very best pastel de nata. We walked first by the Tejo river and monument to the discoverers.




I saw a girl among the statues of the explorers. I’m wondering who she is.

Also wondering: Our trip to the beach keeps getting put off. Will we EVER get to go?

Something interesting to end up with: We had to wait forever for a pastel de Belém, even though there were so many rooms of tables in the old Unica (one and only) Fábrica dos Pasteis de Belém you could get lost. There was no wait, however, at the Starbucks next door.

No comments:

Post a Comment