9/20/09

Charge to the Castle (or don't get stuck in the closing doors)

Wandering:
Today, I rode an old yellow electric tram up to the St. George Castle (Castelo de São Jorge). I walked and climbed a lot of slippery stones and saw the city from very high up. The castle towers had some great views down through the old city to the river.

Wondering:
I learned a little more about my favorite subway station (the one with the little crusaders) by looking at some tiles while we climbed the hill to the castle. My favorite figure, whom I thought was cute because he was/is peeking between two stones, is actually the crusaders’ leader, who is jamming himself in the closing door of the Moorish castle we visited so that the crusaders can get by and defeat the Moors. He therefore dies a heroic death: mushed in a door.

Something interesting to end up with:
I walked forever through winding streets down from the castle through Alfama (old Moorish city) and up to the Bairro Alto (where my dad looked in every bookstore for a map he didn’t buy) and ended up at Bomjardim, O Rei dos Frangos (King of Chickens) in the Rossio, where I ate a very yummy roasted chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment